Loss Control Consultant
Sedgwick is a global leader in property insurance claims, offering solutions for commercial and residential markets. We specialize in large/complex losses, large domestic and international commercial risks, middle market commercial property losses, and real estate and catastrophic losses.
To provide risk assessments for various properties and make recommendations for corrections in order to lessen frequency and severity of claims for client policyholders, thus reducing odds for losses.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Set own schedule to complete assignments in timely manner based on client service level agreements (SLAs)
- Travel to properties such as buildings, industrial operations, vehicles, and recreational facilities to evaluate physical conditions, safety practices and hazardous situations.
- Complete on-site inspections by observing business operations, evaluating management practices, and analyzing loss trends to determine if safety issues and hazards affecting insurance premium are adequately controlled
- Identify all hazards/areas of concern and document with photographs and measurements
- Report information gathered from surveys and inspections in checklist and narrative formats, generate system recommendations for correction of unsafe conditions, and submit findings via web-based application
- Work in a variety of weather conditions while maintaining safety on property and surrounding areas in all circumstances
- Drive routinely to/from assignments
NOTE: The number of assignments and frequency of them may vary depending upon geographical location.
Skills and Knowledge
- Self-starter with ability to work independently under limited and remote supervision
- Strong organizational and time management skills with ability to meet deadlines and maintain quality according to industry standards and client-specific requirements
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and consultative skills
- Professional conduct and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and interpretive skills
- Ability to organize, manage, and travel within a reasonable geographic territory and work a flexible, on-demand schedule, including availability during business hours throughout the work week
- Equipment (provided by contractor):
- Reliable transportation
- Measuring tape or measuring wheel
- PC, laptop, or smart device with Microsoft Word
- High Speed Internet Access
- Digital camera and camera pole for taking property photos
- Previous loss control/safety experience
- Experience conducting insurance casualty/risk assessments surveys
- Thorough understanding of Workers’ Compensation, General Liability, Property and Auto Liability coverage
- Understanding of construction classifications
NOTE: Motor vehicle record and credit security clearance, confirmed via a background credit check, are required for this position.
The statements contained in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a contractor assigned to this description. They are not intended to constitute a comprehensive list of functions, duties, or local variances. Management retains the discretion to add or to change the duties of the position at any time.
HS diploma or GED required
Previous experience and/or training in loss control strongly preferred; experience in residential/commercial inspections or adjusting, underwriting, or construction desired