JOB TITLE: Estimator
REPORTS TO: Chief Estimator
SUMMARY: The Estimator role is an important part of the ongoing success of the Company. Estimators are responsible for identifying potential pursuits and then developing proposals which meet all the requirements of the contract (RFP). The estimator, while seeking input from other valued team members, is the one primarily responsible for developing winning proposal strategies and analyzing risk elements associated with each pursuit. The responsibility of the Estimator includes being a representative for the Company for estimating pursuits and requires a strong understanding of construction methods, procedures and administrative processes, excellent documentation skills and good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all members of the project (both internal & external). The Estimator must be a flexible and adaptable team-player.
KEY INTERFACES: Executive Management, Project Manager, Superintendent
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Communicates and helps to enforce the company’s Health & Safety Program
2. Demonstrates his/her own commitment to an injury-free workplace through own actions
3. Preparation and oversight of cost estimates and bid documents for various construction pursuits in the Public and Private sectors
4. Represents the company as required for strategic pursuits
5. Researches Special Provisions and understanding all aspects of the project including but not limited to self-performed construction activities, tax laws, insurance and labor agreements.
6. Works with other supervisors to develop a plan for the project construction that is utilized as the basis of the cost estimating process
7. Prepares or directs the preparation of material take-off from project plans and documents. Obtains comparative quotations for materials and sub-contractor services
8. Prepares preliminary project schedules utilizing available software sufficient for estimating purposes
9. Communicates with the client on all changes in scope, and/or questions or clarifications regarding the work, during the bidding process
10. Acts as a resource to project management during the award / start-up phase to clarify any issues regarding what was considered in the estimate including materials and methods of construction
11. Maintains updated database of cost information
12. Attends pre and post-bid meetings, with clients and in-house staff as required. Attend preconstruction meetings as necessary
13. Assembles bid-files including all development information that was utilized in preparation of the estimate
14. Ensures that all contract issues such as MSVWBE, time constraints, special construction methods, etc. are addressed prior to submission of the bid
15. Ensures that all contract bid documents are complete and accurate prior to submission of the bid to the client
16. Analyzes estimated vs. actual costs upon project completion or when directed by management. Take input from project managers regarding labor and equipment hours, construction methods, and make adjustments to estimating cost factors as necessary;
17. Reviews budget and project profitability status and goals with supervision and project teams as required. Seek input on corrective measures to continuously improve the identification and accuracy of cost figures
18. Acts as a resource for project management by providing cost information and developing cost estimates for changes in the work when necessary, during different construction phases
19. Acts an observer, when required, for pre bid investigations and site visits
20. Develops and maintain master estimate files, material and activity codebooks and ensure that estimate software is coordinated with company labor and equipment rates, budget codes, etc.
21. Develops and/or maintains standardized estimating processes, and procedures, and subsequent training of estimators and/or other employees as necessary
22. Supports business development and client development efforts as necessary
23. Performs other assignments/job duties as necessary
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRED SKILLS: Proficiency in HCSS Heavy Bid; Onscreen Takeoff or equivalent; MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint; Strong written and verbal communication skills; good time management & organizational skills; ability to function effectively as part of a team; dependable; ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times; ability to understand and follow directions; good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies; the ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment.
PREFERRED SKILLS: Experience in HCSS Heavy Job, Vista Viewpoint, Plan Grid, Bluebeam and Microsoft Project.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: This position requires ten plus (10+) years of relevant experience in the Heavy Civil construction industry. A Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent is preferred however, relevant experience in the Heavy Civil industry will be considered.
BENEFITS PACKAGE: Johansen offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
1. Competitive salary
2. Monthly Vehicle allowance and company gas card (to be used for work related travel)
3. Health and Dental Insurance for the employee and his/her eligible dependents
4. 401k savings plan
5. Paid Time Off program utilizing an accrual based system that begins with 15 days per year
6. Paid Holidays (in addition to the Paid Time Off program)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Johansen Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, or age.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: To successfully perform the essential duties of this position, an individual must be able to sit at a desk for four or more hours per day, and frequently lift and carry objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry objects up to 20 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and required skills for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $90,000.00 – $120,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Sumner, WA 98390: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Construction estimating: 3 years (Required)
Work Location: One location