The Accounts Payable Specialist – Inventory is responsible for processing invoices and communicating variances in a timely and efficient manner to optimize cash discounts. This role works closely with the Beacon Branches, Supply Chain, Accounts Payable Manager, and other AP Specialists and requires resolution-based thinking and communication. Qualified candidates will be well versed in accounts payable, possess excellent critical thinking skills and driven to provide outstanding customer service.
Duties and responsibilities
- Index critical invoice data elements for workflow processing
- Perform 3-way and 2-way matching in a timely manner to ensure all invoices are processed within discount due dates
- Analyze, obtain approval, and code to GL where required and in a timely manner to ensure all invoices are processed within discount due dates
- Communicate variances and required resolution steps clearly and accurately (written and verbal) to buyers for timely resolution of variances and issues.
- Provide timely customer service for all calls, emails and questions from suppliers, internal and external customers.
- Provide out of office and overflow support for other Inventory AP team members.
- Assist department management by identifying opportunities for improving processes and increasing efficiencies.
- Adhere to all accounting policies and procedures to ensure consistent and timely payments to vendors while maintaining appropriate supporting documentation and accurate recording of costs
- Special projects as assigned by management
- Minimum of one (1) year previous Accounts Payable or Accounting experience
- 3-Way Match experience is highly desired
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written with a customer service and professional approach
- Strong analytical reasoning skills with the ability to investigate variances and issues as they arise
- Basic skills in MS Office (Word and Excel, Pivot Tables, VLookups, etc) and ability to learn new software and systems.
- Basic understanding of General Ledger and common Accounts Payable entries
- Ability to work well in a team environment or independently
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail while handling multiple tasks and prioritizing appropriately
- Thrives on working in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Willing and able to pick up the phone to discuss and resolve variances and issues
- Self-starter with a can-do attitude and growth mindset
- No travel requirements as needed for business purposes
- Work assignment is remote situational requiring in office attendance as needed for scheduled meetings, training, rotational mail or check assignments, and other scheduled activities and tasks based on business needs.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer and/or keyboard
- Heavy methods of verbal and auditory communication via phone, virtual calls, and/or email