The specific job duties and responsibilities of a Data Entry Clerk will depend on the industry in which they work. Data Entry Clerks will often have the following responsibilities:
- Create spreadsheets to track important customer information and orders.
- Transfer data from hard copy to a digital database.
- Update customer information in a database.
- Organize existing data in a spreadsheet.
- Verify outdated data and make any necessary changes to records.
- Operate common office equipment, like scanners and printers.
- Search for and investigate information contained in files.
- Perform regular database backups to secure data.
- Input text-based and numerical information from source documents.
- Provide occasional administrative support.
- Sort and organize hard copies of paperwork after entering data electronically.
- Review data for deficiencies or errors.
- Assist with special projects that require large amounts of data entry.
- Provide data entry support across departments on an ad-hoc basis.
- Type in data quickly and efficiently.