VitalSource®,is hiring for a Software Engineer to contribute to our Engineering team in Raleigh, NC or Remote.
VitalSource is a mission-driven company delivering affordable, impactful learning to anyone, anywhere.
The Software Engineer works under direct supervision to perform development and maintenance of server applications. They also resolve issues with software and respond to suggestions for improvements. The position involves work on moderately complex projects.
Want to help explore and build new ways to deliver content to students?
At VitalSource, our team is using startup technology at scale, with millions of users across the globe. Our mission is to make digital learning materials accessible and affordable to all students, and we are excited to see this spread as we expand our global reach.
Our agile teams, which are centered on products, are enabled to have a high ownership of problems with little hierarchy. We use cloud tech, Kubernetes, APIs, modern architecture, continuous deployment, and internal and external integrations to reach our key initiatives. These technologies allow us to integrate with colleges and universities, as well as offer the most accessible eTextbook reader in the world for the visually impaired. If you are a Software Engineer seeking a company that is passionate about their mission, providing great services for learning, and offering technology at scale, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Bachelor’s degree or year for year directly related experience
- 4 years of application developer/software engineer experience
- 4 years of experience with Ruby on Rails, Python or similar programming languages
- Experience with MySQL or other relational database.
- Experience with Git or other source code control systems
- Experience/knowledge of developing RESTful Web Services
- Experience with Linux, Redis, Kubernetes, Docker, Message Queuing, Elasticsearch or other related platform technologies
- Experience with React
- Experience with Elixir programming language
- Experience with and a passion for open source-based development, continuous delivery models, and using best-of-breed tools
- Experience with Agile development environments and working with DevOps teams to create great software
- Develop creative and innovative solutions for the next generation of educational learning
- Effectively work in an Agile team environment developing solutions for our core products and Software-as-a-Service platform
- Provide full application development life cycle support, including specifications, prototypes, development, quality assurance and deployment with assistance from Senior and Lead Application Development
- Communicate effectively with internal users as needed to support channel integration, development and support
- Support development with appropriate documentation
- Develop and modify internal and external facing software as part of an engineering team
What We Offer:
- Culture: Collaborative, Inclusive, and Mission-driven
- More in your pocket: Competitive base salary and a strong variable component
- We take care of all aspects of our people: Generous, well-rounded benefits such as Medical, Vision, Dental, Life, Disability, Critical Illness, Accident, FSA, HSA, ID Protection, Pet and Legal Insurance
- Retirement: 401K match up to 5%
- We support our families: 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Continued education: Use our tuition reimbursement program
- The Importance of Balance: start at 4 weeks’ vacation, 12 sick days, 10 company holidays, and 3 personal days.
- Flexibility: flexible work schedules and remote capabilities (by team) – feel free to skip the commute and hit your deadlines from home
- Casual Dress: be as comfortable at work as you are in your own living room
- Wellness: lots of opportunities for fitness challenges and rewards
Who We Are:
VitalSource is the leading education technology solutions provider committed to helping partners create, deliver, and distribute affordable, accessible, and impactful learning experiences worldwide. As a recognized innovator in the digital course materials market, VitalSource is best known for partnering with more than 1,000 publishers and resellers to deliver extraordinary learning experiences to millions of active users globally—and today we’re also powering new, cutting-edge technologies designed to optimize teaching and learning for maximum results. Learn more at https://get.vitalsource.comand follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, work related mental or physical disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $90,000.00 – $110,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Work Location: Remote